Thursday, June 11, 2015

Week 1 - Contemplated

To think, this time last week I was under the knife.

06/10/2015

The first three days after surgery were the worst because of the insane pressure from the swelling and that just causes general discomfort because nobody's face is supposed to be that size. But it has started to go down, although I think I'm plateauing at the moment.

For me, waking up is the worst because I just feel all of this pressure building back up and it's so uncomfortable. But once I'm up and moving, I feel pretty normal for a person who just had their jaw surgically reconstructed.

Talking has been difficult because I have a splint, which is confining my tongue to the back of my mouth. Also my mouth is rubberbanded, but my doctor just put on looser ones so now I can use a spoon! And I finally learned how to drink from a glass without coughing everything up from choking: you just have to let it go down. Don't be afraid of drowning or choking. You just gotta tip your head back and chug.

Also, I think I wasn't drooling before because the sheer size of my lips was containing everything, but now it all depends on posture. If I'm not sitting or standing straight or backwards a little - let's just say I feel like the little teapot in the "tip me over and pour me out" aspect.

My nose is still semi-clogged. No real progress there.

Overall, I haven't really had any pain, just discomfort. I've only been using my antibiotics and mouth rinse for medicine and haven't needed the painkillers. I think I either have a really high pain tolerance or I'm just so numb I feel nothing. Probably some combination of the two. Smiling is the only painful thing though because I think that's stretching the incision areas. I was trying to watch Jimmy Fallon and he just cracks me up so I had to pause the show just to reset my face. So my advice is when you laugh, make sure that you're able to control yourself because it hurts! But I think it helps to laugh. You know what they say, laughter is the best medicine!

bite before
bite after














chin before
chin after



No comments:

Post a Comment