Sunday, June 7, 2015

Day 2

My dad said I looked rounder this morning.

Let's see, I got up at 4AM because I was in some pain/discomfort, not really sure what is what and so I decided to mix some of this awful painkiller medicine, Lortab Elixir, with prune juice. Oh my god. I don't know if it's just me, but I cannot cannot cannot stomach this medicine. It burns my throat and then leaves it itching and it's just nauseating. The smell alone makes me gag. That's been my biggest struggle.

I haven't been drooling really, and I use a saline spray for my nose, but it was never really stuffed up thanks to that oxygen mask. The main thing is getting used to all of the saliva on the inside of my splint because it feels like I'm drowning. Also I don't like that my tongue is trapped. But I am able to open and close my mouth a little bit despite the rubber bands and I can drink from those paper dixie cups that are kind of moldable.

My swelling has definitely increased today. I went from looking like a pear to a pineapple and I still feel all of this pressure. Maybe it's the little Lortab that I've managed to swallow, but I've been trying to picture my head like one of the Patriot's footballs in deflategate and just trying to imagine my head deflating a bit, you know, imagery as a recovery technique. They gave me this compression head wrap thing at the hospital with instructions to keep it on for three or so days to help reduce swelling...

Definite increase in swelling

It's honestly such a weird feeling. My body, my arms, legs, etc. feel completely fine and normal but from my nose to my neck, there is all of this pressure. Deflate deflate deflate.

I walked outside today, but there were a bit too many gnats and I didn't want any to fly into my mouth so I went back inside, which was sad because it was a nice day and my dog was having fun fetching. Which reminds me! When I came home from the hospital he was really worried. He actually jumped up on me, which was a bit scary because you know, just had jaw surgery, and he kept barking in a high-pitched worried bark tone. He slept next to me for a while. So it's nice to know that my dog cares and realizes that something has happened to me.

I feel like this has all been a bit scattered, but it's difficult to really think straight. Maybe it's the pressure, maybe it's the Lortab I managed to choke down, I'm not sure. They say swelling peaks at seventy-two hours, but I've lost track of time and don't really want to know if it's possible for me to swell any more. I feel like I might burst.

1 comment: