Friday, June 12, 2015

Day 8

The grass needs to be cut, but I feel like the vibrations from the lawn mower may be too much for my face/jaw right now. Maybe next week.

Apart from the first four days, I've been able to sleep through the night, although I was waking up earlier than usual, meaning 6 or 7AM, and that's with going to bed around 10 or 11PM. Now I'm pretty much back to my regular sleep schedule and since the anesthesia has worn off (around day 4 post-op) I haven't needed any naps.

The liquid diet is the worst. I mean, I guess it could be worse, but I just went to the grocery store and there was so much food... My mom bought all of these blueberry muffins for my brother to eat :(
Still can't close my lips,
but I can semi-smile!
I love muffins. I really miss pizza and cheeseburgers and peppers and bagels and whole fruit. I just really want to crunch into something.

When I first came back from the hospital, my throat was so sore and what felt good for me were hot/warm liquids as opposed to cold ones. In general and moving forward, I think it's good to have a balance, that way you don't get too sick of anything. For example, I'm already sick of chocolatey drinks. Too many in too few days.

I've been eating a bunch of different soups, fruit/veggie smoothies, V8, various juices. Occasionally I have a milkshake. And then Cream of Wheat with maple syrup and extra milk to make it more liquidy is really good. I'm going to try a cheesy grits recipe for dinner tonight, so we'll see how that turns out!

PSA - A mirror really does help. Just picture this like one of those weight loss commercials : At first I was super sloppy, letting food drop all over me, but now with my mirror I'm able to see when I'm about to drip and I'm proud to say that my shirts have never been cleaner!


Dr. Stark told me to start brushing with a toothbrush, so I have this Dora the Explorer child's toothbrush that I'm using. It's difficult because my gums are numb, so I'm not sure if I'm being too gentle. And then the splint makes it weird because it goes over half of my front teeth and then I'm not sure how much it is covering my other teeth because I can't really open my mouth, so brushing is guesswork. I just used a flashlight to look around in there and that actually helped me see spots on exposed teeth that I was missing with my toothbrush.

Think I'll go take the dogs on a walk now.

No comments:

Post a Comment